Dry Season (June - October)
The Dry Season provides ideal conditions for animal viewing since vegetation is scarce and animals such as Elephants, Giraffes, Zebras & Buffalo often congregate around waterholes. The Dry Season can be dramatic as all animals compete for scarce resources and predators such as Lions, Cheetahs and Leopards take advantage of high concentrations of prey. In Serengeti National Park, the Great Wildebeest Migration is at its peak in June & July, and in all parks many animals are on the move as they search for water and food.
• Temperatures range from an average of 28-30C (82-86F) in the day and 20-24C (68-75) at night.
• Skies are mostly sunny and clear with little to no rain
• The dry conditions mean fewer mosquitoes
• Some parks can be busier during the Dry Season (especially Ngorongoro Crater), and due to high demand, prices can increase significantly
Green Season ( (November - May)
The Green Season presents the landscape of Northern Tanzania in all its glory, welcoming many new arrivals as Elephants, Wildebeest, Giraffes, Zebras and other animals give birth to their young. The Green Season can also be an excellent time to see predatory animals, such as Lions, Leopards and Cheetahs as they take advantage of young prey. Although animals tend to be more visible in the Dry Season, there is still plenty of action in all the parks (see information about individual parks for details).
• Temperatures range from an average of 30-34C (82-86F) in the day and 21-25C (68-75) at night.
• Rain mostly arrives as short afternoon showers, and more than 60% of days during the Green Season see no rain at all.
• Parks are less busy than in the Dry Season, and prices can be significantly lower.
• Birding conditions are excellent during the Green Season, particularly November - December & March - May.
• Many lodges are closed in April, and we do not take bookings during this month.
Winter Holidays ( (December 20 - January 3)
Conditions during the Winter Holidays are like the Green Season, but prices are higher due to increased demand.